Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Zolo Torrontés 2006: B+

I have been a bit remiss in not posting for close to a month. Alas the rigors of grad school have kept me away, that and the spring blossoms in DC seem to scream "drink girly cocktails", so the wine consumption has waned a bit. Tonight I decided to crack open one of the handful of whites that I should admit I only bought so that I would have a reason to use my dual temperature zoned wine cooler doo-hickey. The choice tonight was an 06 Torrontés from Mendoza...or is it. The label on the bottle says "100% torrontes from La Rioja" which I am assuming means that the actual fruit was originally from Spain, but grown in Argentina. Not sure about this though. This one sort of faked me out. On first sniff i got a very minerally nose...on second sniff the minerals warmed into a youngish fruit maybe like unripe mango or even softer - green banana. On the palate, it got cozier and even a bit sweet for my taste, yellow fruit, although i wouldn't say particularly citrusy. It has a pleasant finish and a green-yellow hue. I definitely like this wine and although I don't remember what I paid for it (i gotta start writing that on the bottle or something). On the web it appears to be around 10 bucks, less even in some places. At that price, I would say this is a great wine. Once again, value seems to be the name of the game from our neighbors to the south.

1 comment:

Sonadora said...

Hey Chris-

That's why CellarTracker is great in my opinion...I enter the price right in there (almost always, sometimes I'm a bit lax about it...) and that way I can just pull up the entry to see what I paid. I thought about writing on the bottle, but when I bring a bottle to someone's house or share with guests at the house, I wouldn't want to be displaying the price!