Sunday, February 10, 2008

Quady Elysium Black Muscat 2006: C

I like wine. I like dessert. This should mean that I like dessert wine, right? mmmm....not always. I picked up this bottle (375ml) of black muscat at Trader Joes for 12.99, admittedly attracted by the fact that i had no idea that black muscat existed. Similar to my experience with the rosé from last week, I can tell that this is a well made wine. It has interesting structure and taste, but it just isn't for me. Unless I am drinking ports (Prager is among my current favorites - the make a white hazelnut port that is wicked rad), I have a strong preference for much lighter fresher and dryer desert wines that are less syrupy. The Elysium seems quite viscous but is pleasantly smooth. definitely lots of sweet floral flavors on the nose - wait, can one smell flavors? even though i know this sounds ridiculous, this muscat, for me, had really strong grape taste. but chris, you might say, maybe this is because wine is made from grapes. i know - just try it, i think you will see what i mean....not just like it tasted as thought it were made from grapes, rather it actually is characterized by a strong almost flat grape soda kind of a taste. I have come across a couple of suggestions to pour this wine over vanilla ice cream. that could definitely be tasty, but i don't know if I want to have to pour my wine over ice cream to get excited about it. If I am honest with myself, I will never buy this wine again. that said, take this rating with a grain of salt, as I am not a real dessert wine guy. C

No comments: