Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Ridge "Three Valleys" 2005: B-


The text on the bottle of this blend says that it is 74% Zin, 13% Petite Sirah, and 8% Carignane with the balance Grenache and Mataro. It was definitely a bit of a gearshift from the syrah, and there were all around more positive comments. josh felt that the three valleys was brighter, detected cranberry on the nose. I wouldn't have come up with cranberry myself, but wholeheartedly agree. there was a really smooth tang that for me characterized this wine in the nose and the mouth. despite its "brightness", this juice didn't lack body or structure. Becky said that it reminded here of the ridiculously priced whole foods yuppie elixir (AKA POM juice) that she had consumed earlier that evening. She also noted earth and butter - and when we all looked at her like she had three heads, she reminded us that there are no wrong answers on the wine blog. true dat becky, true dat. All agreed that maybe the lemon chicken wasn't the best pairing, but i think most of us might buy this again if given the opportunity. I should note, that i think this wine is slightly overpriced at $21 - i would by it again for $17. The price knocks it down a letter grade from a B to a B-.

1 comment:

beckster said...

I'd like to modify our grade for this bottle...I remember REALLY liking this...more in the B+/A- range....my hubby seconds my recollection...